2.25.2009

How Do Your People See You?

Well, I'm off to Birmingham, AL. Our family is spread out here, there, and everywhere this week. Holly's off visiting her sis in AZ and the girls are with their grandparents in FL taking in Disney World. I'm attending a West Africa Missions Summit in AL with one of our church members. We'll be meeting with the missionary in Abidjan, where we will hopefully be taking a trip to in October.

Just one thought that I came across in the last couple of days that I thought I would share. It's from Ed Stetzer's blog here. At the end of this post on "Rethinking Discipleship" Ed asks the question,

Do your people see you as a great leader or a godly pastor. Hopefully both, but pick godly over great.

I hope that I will one day be a great leader, but I may not be. But what I want to strive to be more than a great leader is a godly pastor. I am not sure I find in Scripture the command of "Be a great leader," but I am certain I see the command throughout the pages of the NT of, "Be a godly pastor." And I think if you concentrate on being a godly pastor, then inevitably what you will begin to see happen is the people's definition of a "great leader" begin to change and hopefully what they will find is that the two, at least biblilcally though maybe not according to the standards of the world, are one and the same.

No comments: