- Find a good local church.
- Get involved.
- Become a member.
- Stay there as long as you can.
- Put away thoughts of a revolution for a while.
- Join the plodding visionaries.
- Go to church this Sunday and worship in Spirit and in truth.
- Be patient with your leaders.
- Rejoice when the Gospel is faithfully proclaimed.
- Bear with those who hurt you.
- Give people the benefit of the doubt.
- Say "hi" to the teenager that no one notices.
- Welcome the old ladies with the blue hair and the young man with the tatoos.
- Volunteer for the nursery.
- Attend the congregational meeting.
- Bring your fried chicken to the potluck like everybody else.
- Invite a friend.
- Take a new couple out for coffee.
- Give to the Christmas offering.
- Sing like you mean it.
- Be thankful someone vacuumed the carpet for you.
- Enjoy the Sundays that "click."
- Pray extra hard for the Sundays that don't.
- And in all of this, do not despise the days and weeks and years of small things. (Zechariah 4:8-10)
How To Be A Difference Maker In Your Local Church
Here's Kevin DeYoung's answer to that question from his message "The Church" at the NEXT2010 conference this past may: