I used these stats this morning in my sermon that dealt with us as churches and as a convention loosing our focus of making disciples of all nations. I mentioned that loss of focus is clearly seen by our giving towards the accomplishment of the Great Commission.
These stats are startling and seem to speak for themselves. Here they are along with a quote from Daniel Palmer. You can read the entire article here where these stats were taken.
- 17% of Cooperative Progam giving goes to reach the nations with the Gospel.
- As Southern Baptists, we sepnd annually $1.31/person to reach every person living in the US and Canada.
- We spend only $.04/person annually to reach every person living in the rest of the world, especially the unreached peoples of the world.
- We spend $447 million a year to reach the 340 million people who live in the US and Canada.
- We spend $243 million annually to reach the 6.4 billion people in the rest of the world.
- We spend on average thirty-three times more money annually to reach an American than we do an African.
"Southern Baptists affirm that every soul is equal before God, but we spend missions dollars like we value the American soul above all others--the Southern, American soul in particular."
Oh how we need to pray for a Great Commission Resurgence among our Convention and may it begin in each of our hearts!