5.06.2008

Promoting Unity Pastorally

Two weeks ago, I had the joy of preaching Ephesians 4:1-6 as we are making our way through Ephesians. The passage deals with the church living in such a way that it properly reflects the calling of the gospel--the unity that God has brought through the gospel between God and man as well as man and man. One of the points I made is that we, as the church, must distinguish between that which is central to our faith and that which is marginal. Then we must be unified around that which is central, but be willing to lovingly disagree on that which is marginal--all for the sake of the Gospel and the glory of God.

Josh Harris (link to his blog is in the list of blogs I read), now pastor of Covenant Life Church in Maryland, but probably best known as the author of I Kissed Dating Goodbye, recently gave a very helpful word on gospel unity and humility in the church in the midst of issues that are not central to the gospel and perfectly ok to disagree upon. I thought I would share it. It challenged, encouraged, and built me up as a believer and I pray it will you as well.


No comments: